Moving Elderly Parents Into Your Home: 5 Things You Should Know
April 20, 2016
Top Reasons Why People Have Home Caregivers
August 16, 2016
Living alone can be dangerous for seniors due to aging, illness, or injury. Seniors often find themselves struggling while living alone or feeling like a burden to their families who take care of them.
When your loved ones are getting older or develop an illness that requires more help, there are usually three choices:
Family looking after seniors
Moving to an assisted living facility
Employing a home caregiver
In a recent survey, 90% of seniors indicated they prefer home caregiving. It’s often a difficult decision to make with many variables to take into account.
10 Reasons to Get a Home Caregiver Here are some of the top reasons why seniors and their families prefer home caregiving:
1. Dementia: It’s often difficult to care for a loved one with dementia. Families usually don’t have the skills or experience to understand the disease or know how to care for someone with dementia. It’s also very painful to see loved ones deteriorate and families may need emotional support and guidance which a home caregiver can provide.
2. Improved quality of life: There is nothing better than home. When seniors can stay at home, they can often carry on with their lives as before, which improves their quality of life.
3. Needing help caring for an elderly spouse or parents: It can be stressful for families to care for their loved ones and can affect their own health as they often want to give too much of themselves to make their loved one more comfortable. This often creates strained relationships. A home caregiver can take over many daily caregiving tasks, which means families can spend quality time with their loved ones. Caregivers can also give guidance on how to handle challenging situations.
4. Extends life: Some studies have found that people who are opting for home caregiving often live longer. The specialized care and physical, medical, and emotional support help seniors stay healthier for longer.
5. Convenience: Personal caregivers can give their clients one-on-one care – something you won’t get in a caregiving facility. Seniors don’t need to go out for minor treatments which are especially convenient for people with limited mobility. When seniors need to go to doctor’s appointments, the caregiver is there to help their client get to the office safe and on time.
6. Preserve a sense of identity and independence: When staying at home, seniors have the ability to lead a meaningful and independent life. They can carry on with their daily tasks as before, have friends over whenever they want, and do activities they enjoy doing.
7. Promotes healing: People recover more quickly in the comfort of their own home as opposed to a house for the elderly.
8. The comfort of the home: Staying in your own home is more comfortable and familiar, whether you can sit in your favorite chair, spend time in your garden, or enjoy your breakfast on the deck like you always did. A familiar environment allows the senior to be surrounded by loved ones, furniture, neighbors, and amenities they’re used to.
9. Security and peace of mind: A professional caregiver can keep the family up to date on the wellbeing and health of their loved one. The senior won’t catch infections from other seniors which is commonplace in a caregiving facility where they are constantly surrounded by chronically ill seniors. In the case of an emergency, there’s always someone nearby to help, give CPR, or call 911 if needed.
10. Companionship: We always try to match caregivers and clients according to their interests and often the senior and caregiver become trusted friends. Having a friend around can avoid unnecessary loneliness or depression.
Should You Get a Home Caregiver for Your Loved One? Trying out a caregiver doesn’t need to feel like a lifelong commitment. We’ll do everything in our power to find a good fit for you or your loved one, and can even pair you with another caregiver should you not get along with the first choice.
Our highly-trained caregiving professionals are all passionate about the services they provide and the clients they work with. You can choose from different packages and upgrade as your needs change. Don’t hesitate to call us for more information and to discuss the options available to you. With our caregivers, your loved ones are in good hands.